Tuesday, October 18, 2005
amusing, ca. 1905
from a 1905 edition of the Wehman Bros.’ New Book of Fun Magic and Mystery.
Many thanks to Gene Gable:http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/22843.html?cprose=6-42
Monday, October 17, 2005
the benefits of being single
1. I can read, in bed, as late as I want
2. No discussion required before making social plans
3. no condoms
4. I can sleep diagonally
Tuesday, October 11, 2005
- The light outside, right now at this very minute, is gorgeous.
- I got a fabulous deal on my new headboard.
- My cats are cute and fuzzy and will orbit around me when I get home.
- It’s time to blow this popsicle stand.
- The lightpost by the front entrance (see blog of Sept. 30) is once again dead.
- My pumpkin keeps falling off of my window ledge.
- The popovers I made this morning didn’t pop over.
- The ooh-how-clever bedroom lighting idea I nabbed from Ikea will likely not work as planned.
Monday, October 10, 2005
Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It’s easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.
While preachers preach of evil fates
Teachers teach that knowledge waits
Can lead to hundred-dollar plates
Goodness hides behind its gates
But even the president of the United States
Sometimes must have
To stand naked.
An’ though the rules of the road have been lodged
It’s only people’s games that you got to dodge
And it’s alright, Ma, I can make it.